Every wonder how our farm got started?  What was the farm like before all those donuts came around?  What used to be in the 1915 Barn? 

 

November 8, 1836 USA to Mary Bond (later married Francis Prescott) - 320 acres 
November 2, 1837 USA to Mary Slater (married to Leonard Slater) - 320 acres
September 17, 1848 Leonard & Mary Slater to Benjamin Slater
1858-1870 Records of Blendon Railroad, part of the Blendon Lumber Company, running through the Bond property. The railroad ran from the NE corner to the SW corner (Civil War 1861-1865)
April 11, 1892 Claus Tambke Sr. & wife, Metta
April 9, 1907 Henry Tambke (and later his wife, Amanda)
April 23, 1946 Raymond & Edith Zeeff (dairy farm for a few years then chickens)
March 3, 1969 William & Henrietta Post - 80 acres 

 

Bill and Etta and two daughters moved in one day and about 200 pigs moved in the next day. Bill and Etta raised their 5 kids (3 girls & 2 boys) on a pig farm, averaging 300 pigs. The Posts sold out of the pig business in 1986 and started experimenting with produce that grew well in sandy soil. They tried a variety of crops turnips, peppers, zucchini, strawberries, and pumpkins. The pumpkins, not only did well in the soil, were also a great fit for the farm business. It complimented the Fall hayride season nicely. 

The first hayride started when the eldest Post daughter brought some friends home from college. The hayrides have never stopped since 1984. The hayrides were a great success in the farm entertainment business which regularly led to new entertainment activities being introduced over the years. 

We now raise about 15 acres of pumpkins, squash, and gourds. All sold directly from the property to the general public. The farm has truly become a family farm as all siblings and spouses work for the farm in some capacity, serving other families. The farm is open to the general public Labor Day through the first week of November. The rest of the year, we are open by reservation.  

FALL: school tours, Fun Farm Days, Festivals, barn dancing, hayrides and bonfires, corn maze, and weddings.

WINTER: sleigh rides, weddings, and Christmas parties.

SPRING: school tours

SUMMER: weddings and company picnics

The farm is capable of doing weddings year round with the 1915 Barn being heated.  


1915 Barn (& House)

Originally built in 1915, after the original homestead located in the center of the back forty burned down in the early 1900s. The barn was originally built as a dairy barn. In the 1940s, it was remodeled for chickens having between one and two thousand chickens on each level. In 1969, when Bill and Etta purchased the farm, it was used to raise feeder pigs, until 1986. Horses and cows spent a short period of time in the building, too. After selling out of the pig business, the barn was used to clean and store produce and equipment. One of the unique features of the barn is the windows on the 2nd floor. Chickens need light to lay eggs, therefore windows were installed when the farm was a chicken farm. Over time, as more people requested using the barn for different activities, the barn began to change. The old milk house became a bathroom, as we needed bathrooms. Several years later, it became our present day wedding storage. The lean-to went from a workshop to a donut shop. A portion of the lower barn went from housing cows, chickens, pigs and ponies, to indoor straw maze, to the present day "Bridal Suite" and bathrooms. The old barn has found a new niche as a gathering place for people. The barn is used for barn dancing, receptions, reunions, and Christmas parties. The 1915 Barn is heated, so it can be used year-round, although, it is not air conditioned. 

Post Office

It was originally the Egg Coop, used for washing, packing, cold storage and candling eggs (check for blood). The Post family used the building for storage and horse stalls. Now it is home to our office and Groom and Groomsmen area.

Mom's Pavilion

It was originally a chicken barn that was built in the 1940s and later became home to 1000 chickens. In the early 1970s, it was converted to a farrowing barn (18 sows with piglets). Years after Bill and Etta sold the pig business, a snow storm in the 1990s collapsed the roof. In 2008, the 3000 square feet pavilion was built over the foundation. It is also known as our wedding pavilion where receptions, reunions, and picnics occur. In 2015, we put on an addition to the pavilion to better accommodate DJ and bar services.

Waterfall/Wedding Site

It was originally woods, pig pen, and horse pasture. Now it is host to many wedding ceremonies. It was first converted to very lush green grass in 1992 for the first Post daughter's wedding ceremony and reception. In 2002, the last major improvement was made with the installation of the double waterfall site. In the same year, the last of the 5 Post kids to get married on the farm was also the first wedding on the new site. It is now a beautifully landscaped area, ideal for weddings and events.

2000 Barn

This two-story barn was built to house the animals and workshop, moved out of the 1915 Barn and to create more storage for farm equipment and more space for square dances and parties. We were not the first ones to realize this was a good location for a barn. Early on, in the farm's history, there was a barn on the same location. Several artifacts were discovered during the preparation of the foundation. 

Dad's Pavilion

Built in 2002, this was built to store tractors, farm equipment, hay, and straw. Under the lean-to is our straw play area for visitors.

Greenhouse

It was originally build in 2000 to start a greenhouse growing business and has now turned into an additional storage area.